Landscaping with Fragrant Plants: Adding Aromatherapy to Your Yard
While aromatherapy is something that we typically associate with resorts and spas, it is also something that you can add to your home. Specifically, you can create a similar effect with the effective use of fragrant plants. In this post, we take a closer look at how you can impress your guests and go home to a relaxing environment through landscaping with fragrant plants.
The Power of Fragrances in Landscaping
While gardens and yards are most commonly associated with visual and aesthetic appeal, scents can also play a big role in how we enjoy them. Pleasant scents, such as those that are associated with freshness and nature, can have a positive impact on our mood and mental well-being.
Aromatherapy is a therapeutic concept that draws on this correlation to improve mood and regulate emotions. By planting fragrant plants in your yard or garden, you can achieve a similar effect to aromatherapy in a completely natural way, achieving the best possible result.
Choosing the Right Plants for Your Garden
Of course, not all plants are created equal, and some plants have scents that are more pleasant than others. You can consult your local nurseries or people in your community who might be familiar with the local flora to ask them about the plants that might be most suitable to help you achieve an aromatherapy effect.
Ultimately, the plants that you end up choosing should appeal to you. Thus, ensure that you do adequate research to find out which plants you really like before you have them planted in your yard or garden. If you’re unfamiliar with the various types of plants that you can choose from, some common varieties that are known for their fragrance include:
- Lavender: Lavender is popular for its calm, soothing and mildly sweet aroma and is often processed into essential oils.
- Mint: For a cool and refreshing scent, consider planting some mint, which you can also use for cooking or making drinks.
- Thyme: Thyme is a great herb that is commonly used in many cuisines. Planting it in your yard or garden will also enable you to enjoy an earthy aroma.
- Jasmine: Jasmine flowers have a great floral aroma that is mildly sweet.
Optimising your Plant Placement
After deciding which plants you want to have in your garden or yard, it is crucial for you to plan the perfect placement. Doing so ensures that you maximise the benefit that you are able to enjoy from your plants. For example, you can create a raised bed with retaining walls near your gate entrance where you plant your favourite plants so that they’re the first thing you smell when you enter or exit the home.
Get Your Landscaping Supplies from Fulton Brickyard
No garden or yard is complete without the proper landscaping. While the right plants can add great scents to your garden or yard, things like paved walkways and dedicated planting beds can greatly increase the appeal of it. Fulton Brickyard is a leading supplier of pavers, concrete sleepers, Boral bricks and countless other landscaping supplies in Melbourne and the surrounding areas. Contact us today for more information!
- Fired Bricks vs. Unfired Bricks: Pros and Cons
- Modern Brick Facades: Trends in Contemporary Architecture
- Concrete Patio vs. Wooden Deck: Pros and Cons
- Blending Pavers with Natural Stone for a Rustic Look
- Building an Outdoor BBQ Island with Bricks
- Creating the Ultimate Garden Pathway with Granite Pavers
- Creating a Productive Garden with Edible Plants